Mammoth Lakes is home to many extraordinary businesses, so we invite the community to say thanks to their favorites through Business Excellence Awards each year in seven categories.
Each October, we extended nominations to the entire community. In November, the community voted for the overall winners. Voting ended Monday, Nov. 20 at 5 pm.
Winners and runners-up were announced at the Chamber’s annual holiday party on Thursday, Dec. 7, 2017 at The Westin. See photos from the evening.
2017 Business Excellence Awards Nominees & Winners
We received more than 1500 votes from the public to choose this year’s award winners.
Green Business of the Year
Must be able to demonstrate one green business practice in 5 of the following categories: waste diversion, recycling, purchasing, energy/water conservation, involving stakeholders in making their business more green, transportation, operations, other.
- Green Fox Events & Guest Services
- Sierra Conservation Project – Honorable Mention
- Stellar Brew – WINNER!
- The Westin Monache Resort
Non-Profit Organization of the Year
Must be a 501(c), demonstrate outstanding contributions to the community, show benefits of service that set them apart, and spend at least 80% of budget on program expenses.
- Disabled Sports Eastern Sierra – WINNER!
- Mammoth Lakes Foundation
- Mammoth Lakes Repertory Theatre
- Mammoth Mountain Community Foundation – Honorable Mention
- Mono Arts Council
- Wild Iris
Best New Business of the Year
Must have started business within the last two years and demonstrate at least one of the following qualities: exceptional growth through creation of jobs, revenue growth, innovative products or services, exceptional customer service, giving back to the community.
- Hugs Ice Cream – WINNER!
- Mammoth Coffee Roasting Company
- Mammoth Smogs
- Ridge Merino
- Sierra Dog Ventures – Honorable Mention
Customer Service Business of the Year
Must demonstrate a clear focus on exceptional customer service from management to frontline staff and identify and meet customer needs at a consistently high level.
- Black Tie Skis
- Booky Joint
- Delicious Kitchen
- Footloose Sports – WINNER!
- Good Life Cafe – Honorable Mention
- High Country Lumber
Customer Service Person of the Year
Must demonstrate exceptional customer service, be a role model for other employees, recognize barriers to the delivery of outstanding customer service, identify and meet customer needs at a consistently high level, and have successful completed the Chamber’s Peak Performance Program customer service training course.
- Agustin Murguia – Old New York Deli & Bagel/Smokeyard
- Billy Calhoun – The Eatery
- Bodhi Silva – The Eatery
- Breonna Pepaj – Mammoth Lakes Wellness
- Camille Miller – Mammoth Fun Shop
- Casey Penn – Black Tie Skis
- Colin Fernie – Black Tie Skis
- Emily Elwell – Thai’d Up
- Emily Summers – Mammoth Lakes Tourism (formerly The Village Lodge)
- Jeremy Goico – Black Tie Skis
- Jessie Melton – Stellar Brew – Honorable Mention
- Jesse Rea – KMMT & A-Frame
- Johnathon Seely – Tailwaggers – WINNER!
- Stacy Schaubmayer – Alpenhof
- Quart Keyes – Edward Jones
- Zach Yates – Footloose Sports
Business of the Year
Must demonstrate a positive business or economic impact on the region, exemplify civic leadership, and demonstrate one or more of the following qualities: exceptional growth through creation of jobs, revenues growth, innovative products or services, exceptional customer service, giving back to the community.
- Black Tie Skis
- Bleu Handcrafted Foods – Honorable Mention
- Doorstep Deliveries
- Green Fox Events
- Sierra Nevada Resort
- Stellar Brew – WINNER!
Business Person of the Year
Must be the owner/primary manager of the business, demonstrate a commitment to social responsibility, have had a positive impact and made a significant contribution to the community, and demonstrate stability as a business leader and exhibit strong leadership skills. Chamber board directors were not eligible for this category, but their businesses were eligible for other award categories.
- Brandon and Theresa Brocia – The Eatery/Bleu Handcrafted Foods – WINNER!
- Cathleen Calderon – Doorstep Deliveries/Doorstep Concierge – Honorable Mention
- Colin Fernie – Black Tie Skis/Mammoth Lakes Town Council
- Matt Hammer – Black Velvet/Shelter Distilling
- Michael Ledesma and Russ Squier – Gomez’s/Basecamp Cafe/Hugs Ice Cream