Mammoth Lakes is home to many extraordinary businesses, so we invited the community to say thanks to their favorites through Business Excellence Awards in seven categories. We extended nominations to the entire community in late October and early November, then moved the top 5-6 nominees on to the next round of voting. Final voting ended right before Thanksgiving. We received more than 1400 votes from community members.
Winners were announced at the Chamber’s annual holiday party on Thursday, Dec. 8. The 2016 nominees and winners are below.
Green Business of the Year
WINNER: Stellar Brew
Honorable Mention: Sierra Conservation Project
Nominees: Green Fox Events & Guest Services, Mammoth Community Water District, The Westin Monache
Must be able to demonstrate one green business practice in 5 of the following categories: waste diversion, recycling, purchasing, energy/water conservation, involving stakeholders in making their business more green, transportation, operations, other.
Non-Profit Organization of the Year
Must be a 501(c), demonstrate outstanding contributions to the community, show benefits of service that set them apart, and spend at least 80% of budget on program expenses.
- Disabled Sports Eastern Sierra – Winner
- Mammoth Lakes Repertory Theatre – Honorable Mention
- Mammoth Lakes Foundation
- Mono Arts Council
- Southern Mono Historical Society
Best New Business of the Year
Must have started business within the last two years and demonstrate at least one of the following qualities: exceptional growth through creation of jobs, revenue growth, innovative products or services, exceptional customer service, giving back to the community.
- Black Doubt
- The Eatery – Winner
- Food Cache Cafe – Honorable Mention
- Liberty Bar
- Mammoth Expeditions
- Mountain Motors Auto Repair
Excellence in Customer Service (Business)
Must demonstrate a clear focus on exceptional customer service from management to frontline staff and identify and meet customer needs at a consistently high level.
- Burgers Restaurant – Honorable Mention
- Footloose Sports – Winner
- Mammoth Fun Shop
- The Westin Monache
Peak Performer – Excellence in Customer Service (Individual)
Must demonstrate exceptional customer service, be a role model for other employees, recognize barriers to the delivery of outstanding customer service, identify and meet customer needs at a consistently high level, and have successful completed the Chamber’s Peak Performance Program customer service training course.
- Barbara Richter – Southern Mono Historical Society
- Bodhi Silva – Snowcreek Athletic Club
- Casey Penn – Black Tie Skis/Friends of the Inyo
- Chanel Gagnier – Mums n’ Roses
- Christian Grimaldo – Eastern Sierra Community Bank
- Katie Samarripas – State Farm Insurance
- Kelly Segura – The Eatery
- Kendra Knight – Mono Arts Council/Bluebird Imaging
- Laurel Martin – Disabled Sports Eastern Sierra – Winner
- Mario Gutierrez – Roberto’s
- Stacy Schaubmayer – Alpenhof Lodge – Honorable Mention
Business of the Year
Must demonstrate a positive business or economic impact on the region, exemplify civic leadership, and demonstrate one or more of the following qualities: exceptional growth through creation of jobs, revenues growth, innovative products or services, exceptional customer service, giving back to the community.
- Black Tie Skis
- Bluebird Imaging
- Mammoth Brewing Company – Winner
- Mammoth Fun Shop – Honorable Mention
- Mammoth Mountain
- Sierra Nevada Resort
- The Westin Monache
Business Person of the Year
Must be the owner/primary manager of the business, demonstrate a commitment to social responsibility, have had a positive impact and made a significant contribution to the community, and demonstrate stability as a business leader and exhibit strong leadership skills. Chamber board directors were not eligible for this category, but their businesses were eligible for other award categories.
- Brandon and Theresa Brocia – The Eatery/Bleu Handcrafted Foods
- Kathy Copeland – Disabled Sports Eastern Sierra – Winner
- Kendra Knight – Bluebird Imaging/Mono Arts Council
- Lou Margulies – NOW Foundation/Mammoth Lakes Laundromat – Honorable Mention
- Sean Turner – Mammoth Brewing Company